Umbria is a region in Italy known for it's Medieval hilltop towns , rich culture and scenery making it an amazing place to have a destination wedding or elopement. Just like Kady and Niall's La Badia Orvieto Wedding which was held the stunning 12th Century Monastery.
WHAT INSPIRED THIS COUPLE TO HAVE A DESTINATION WEDDING?
Kady and Niall live in Sydney, Australia but they're originally from Ireland. They would have needed to travel regardless to have their wedding so we thought it would be a great idea for their families and friends in meet in Italy!
It’s only a 3 hour flight from Ireland which is a lot better than them flying to Sydney (which is 24 hours!). They also wanted to have an outdoor wedding and the weather is too unpredictable in Ireland. Kady and Niall are also huge food and wine lovers, so Italy fit the bill for perfectly for them as Umbria, Italy is known for it's has stunning weather, landscapes, food and wine.
THEY PERSONALIZED THEIR LA BADIA ORVIETO WEDDING IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS
1. Kady is a designer and she wanted make their wedding beautiful and personalized with her own personal touch.
2. She designed the menus and invites herself. Every detail was carefully designed.
3. Kady asked her cousin to officiate the ceremony. This was really special as it was more meaningful to have a family member do the ceremony.
4. They wrote their own vows and they also both said a speech which really added a lot of meaning to their day.
5. They invited friends to read poems at the ceremony adding a personal touch to the day.
6. They also decided to have an entire weekend for the wedding to make sure everyone could really relax and enjoy themselves. Kady and Niall really appreciated how far and wide everyone was traveling and wanted to make their time amazing. They do not get to see their family and friends as much as they would like because they live so far away, so they wanted to spend as much time as possible together making memories.
FAVORITE WEDDING DETAILS
One of Kady and Niall's favorite details were the personal notes they wrote to each and every guest. For weeks before their big day, they spent time writing a personal note for each guest welcoming them to the wedding and telling them how much they mean to us both.
They bought beautiful handmade recycled paper which was soft blue with green hues and had each note written on this in calligraphy. They then placed the notes on each guests table setting, over the menu. When they sat down to dinner this was a beautiful surprise and some people were so touched that they were in tears!
THEME BEHIND THEIR DESTINATION WEDDING
Their theme was very rustic and natural. They used a lot of greens in the décor and the paper for the invites and menus was a recycled handmade deckled edge stock. The flowers were mainly white with a touch of blue which kept the look and feel very classic and Italian. The boys wore beautiful navy suits and bows with Niall in a white dicky bow.
Kady's dress was very classic cut with a very long train and hand embroidered with white flowers and branches but in a very subtle way.
The bridesmaids were dressed in a liquid gold charmeuse which sparkled in the sunlight and matched perfectly with the surrounds of the Ancient Monastery ruins of La Badia.
KADY'S SPECIAL ADVICE FOR BRIDES WHO ARE PLANNING A DESTINATION WEDDING IN ITALY
"Have some time for just the two of you – Make sure you take some time to sneak off together and have a toast. The day goes so quickly and you want to make sure you have a few moments just the two of you to take it all in and be together."